EFFECTS OF 1080 on Animals
Above: The eco toxin warning icon the 1080 manufacturer says must be used, but DOC/OSPRI don't use it. It graphically includes air land and water, flora and fauna.
- Secondary poisoning - Dead animals are poisonous until completely decomposed - decomposition is hampered by the destruction of microbes, so carcasses lay intact for prolonged periods, waiting for a victim.
- Annually over 60 dogs die from 1080 every year through secondary poisoning along with Kea, birds of prey and insect eaters
- Helicopters drop bait indiscriminately & kill every creature in the food chain. · 1080 seeps into drinking water through the ground, catchment areas, lakes & streams, increasing the risk of heart, lung problems in humans and decreased fertility.
- 1080 is linked to male infertility and miscarriages - this applies to humans, birds and animals, even marine creatures.
- The first creatures to repopulate an area after 1080 are RATS, the logic is flawed.
Published on Jul 24, 2014
Watch Graeme Elliot of DOC tell the grim story that 1080 poison causes rat plagues.
Below: 1080 does not work in conservation.
DOC Scientist admits & explains how '1080 causes rat plagues'
1080 Effects On Insects & Invertebrates:
1080 Availability to invertebrates Invertebrates are susceptible to 1080 poisoning by eating the baits. Wetas have been known to eat carrot baits. Invertebrates are also poisoned indirectly by eating carcasses of the poisoned animals, or by coming into contact with the regurgitations (through 1080's emetic action) or excretions of living poisoned animals. Toxic material leaches into the soil from both baits and decomposing carcasses. *Reference A review of invertebrate poisoning by compound 1080 PETER NOTMAN DSIR, Ecology Division, Private Bag, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. New Zealand Entomologist, 1989, Vol. 12
1080 Poison has been detected in honey carried by bees to their hive, in bees, the protracted death (up to 1.5 hours) allows the bee to make several foraging trips and stocking the hive with poison before succumbing to the poison itself. *Reference Poisoning of honey bees (Apis mellifera) by sodium fluoroacetate (1080) in baits R. M. Goodwin & A. Ten Houten - New Zealand Journal of Zoology Volume 18, Issue 1, 1991
The insects our native birds rely on are poisoned, depending on species, birds starve or are either killed outright or weakened by sublethal doses which reach their highest concentration at the end of the winter when the toxins finally deliver a lethal blow with the birds at the end of their depleted fat reserves.
This "conservation" method is a sham, it hasnt worked in 60 years it needs to stop NOW!
The main advocates of 1080 are:
The New Zealand department of Conservation (DOC & Battle for our Birds campaign),
The Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand (Forest and Bird)
Predator Free New Zealand
OSPRI - (TB Free programme)
1080 is also being used in Australia and the public are facing similar issues.
Below is an eyewitness video of how a beloved family pet suffered and died in front of her owner (a little girl & her family) on a road trip...
From Change.Org 27 Jan 2016 — 'I was recently contacted by Betty's family. Their much beloved pet had died while they were on holiday in Western Australia. Betty died after ingesting a 1080 laden bait. There was no warning. I am uploading a video of the event so that you might understand just why this Petition is so important to have any poisoning of animals stop but particularly 1080. It is a cruel way to die before time." Warning the video below is disturbing, but it's reality on both sides of the Tasman.
How 1080 Effects Animals:
- 1080 is toxic to all air-breathing organisms It works by disrupting the 'Krebs Cycle', interrupting the metabolism and starving vital organs.
- 1080 poisoning results in a slow and inhumane death.
- 1080 is an insecticide. During the process of Aerial application, 1080 dust and pellets settle in the canopy of trees and bees and insects are killed.
- There is no known antidote for this deadly poison.
Below: Not for the squeamish, graphic video showing the horrific deaths of 1080 poisoned horses deer and cattle. All accidental poisoning